There are hundreds of reasons why a career in Tourism is so sought after, however, we have identified 6 reasons why many people choose this incredible career path.
1. Endless opportunities: Tourism is a worldwide industry, and the skills you learn at University are easily transferable. A career in tourism can literally open up the world for you, especially if you want to combine work with travel.
2. Word of mouth: As well as being a people-orientated industry, a great variety of tourism jobs require you to think on your feet and be creative. People who work in tourism have a crucial part to play, making sure that visitors have a fantastic experience so they can go home and tell everyone they know to also travel to the destination. Positive word of mouth advertising is key to the success of various industries.
3. The customer is always right – a skill you will learn in this competitive industry: in the tourism industry specifically, you will learn not only the value of patience but the age-old saying that “customers are always right” will ring true to you on many occasions. This is vital to success across various industries especially when people are paying for a service. This again is a valuable life skill that this incredible industry will teach you.
4. You can be a source of travel advice: The majority of travel companies afford their staff the opportunity to experience and travel to various destinations, as the best travel advice comes from those who have experienced a destination first-hand. Therefore you are often the best source of travel advice.
5. New technology is key: Tourism is one of the most dynamic and competitive industries in the world. Staying ahead of the competition, coming up with new ideas and developing various skills are crucial to success in this industry. From mobile apps to unique room designs, innovation is key to success.
6. It’s a growing industry: Worldwide tourism is a multi-billion rand industry and it is not stopping any time soon!
Clonard Distance Education offers Travel & Tourism as a choice subject for Grade 10 – 12 students, for more information please contact our branch or visit our website www.clonard.co.za